Community Garden Plots
Important Dates for 2024
Applications start for first plot only - January 02
Applications start for additional plots - March 25 ( 1 or 2)
Planting begins - May 06
Plant-by date - May 27
Clean-Up date – Oct. 20
Please stop by the City Hall Front Desk on or after January 2nd if you would like to reserve for 2024. Current residents only and non-residents who are currently employed within City limits with proof may apply for one plot. You may rent up to 2 additional plots on March 25th if plots are still available. You must show residential identification to rent a plot. Cost is $50 per plot.
2024 Garden Rules
- Watering – Keep watering to a maximum of a 1/2 hour. Must turn off the water when you leave. Water sprinklers are not permitted in the gardens. Gardeners are to provide their own hoses, tools, and supplies. Do not borrow a neighbor’s hose without asking.
- Pesticides / Herbicides – Use of natural-based, organic, or chemical-free pesticides are allowed. Herbicides are not permitted in the garden. Insecticides and fungicides are strongly discouraged.
- Unwanted Weeds – Unwanted weeds are the responsibility of the renter of the plot including the aisles/walkway areas between and around the plots. Only appropriate weed control for spraying of weeds is allowed so that other garden plots are not being impacted.
- Empty Bags/Debris/Composting – Your bags and debris must be taken home with you and disposed of properly. Recycling and composting are encouraged. Note: A compost area is available at the garden site in the fall.
- Children – Children are welcome at the garden when accompanied by an adult.
- Dogs – If you bring your dog, your dog must be on a leash, and you are required to pick up after them (City Code 5). Do not allow your dog to enter the neighbor’s yards. If your dog is disruptive, your dog will need to leave.
- Assigned Plots – Please do not use a garden plot that is not assigned to you. Do not plant outside of your assigned garden plot. Attached is a map of the garden plots. Please double-check your plot number.
- Parking – A small gravel parking lot is available on the north side of Veterans Memorial Blvd NW east of Nightingale Street NW. On-street parking on Veterans Memorial Blvd NW is not permitted. Please do not park on the grass or boulevard areas.
- Restrooms – We have a Porta-Potty available for your use only through the gardening months.
- Fencing and Gardening Materials – Mandatory! Plots must be cleared at the end of the growing season. All fencing and materials left over are to be removed including (chicken wire, hoses, etc.) These materials interfere with plowing/tilling in preparation of the next season. If a garden is abandoned during the year or the gardener fails to clean up his or her garden in the fall, no plot renewal/request will be allowed for that gardener in the following year.
- Public Works – PW has the authority as well as the responsibility to our renters and will be monitoring the garden plot area for compliance/policies and to raise concerns we may have with the gardeners. Enforcement of policies may include taking a plot away from a gardener and/or not allowing a gardener to return next year. The City of Andover is not responsible for any damage to the gardens or your personal equipment/supplies.
Thank you for your cooperation. HAPPY GARDENING!!