Code Violations & Enforcement Process

The City of Andover code enforcement program was created to help enforce the laws and ordinances of the city regarding zoning and property maintenance issues. Well-maintained properties help to protect property values of homes and businesses in our community. Also, poorly maintained properties decrease pride in community and can lead to increased public health and safety issues. 

Andover code enforcement refers to the enforcement of City Code, or rules, which are specific to Andover. The goal of code compliance is to improve the quality of life for Andover residents through education and enforcement of property maintenance standards. This program is different that the Building code, Fire code, Electrical code, traffic/parking violations or any other code. 

​Complaint Based Enforcement

Code compliance is enforced on a complaint basis. Generally, the City receives a call from a neighbor about a property on their street, saying their is a violation. The City will review the property and verify whether a violation is existing or not. If calling in a complaint and you don't talk to a person, please leave contact information so staff can get back in touch with you. We may have additional questions or we may find the property in question does not have a violation under the code and would want to let you know. 

​Resources for Residents

The City of Andover encourages residents to look over their own properties for any potential violations prior to contacting the City for code enforcement. The City also encourages residents to respectfully communicate with their neighbors about potential violations prior to filing a complaint; doing so will help increase the strength and community of our neighborhoods. Please note that code enforcement does not enforce private property lines or civil disputes between neighbors. If you are involved in a civil dispute, Anoka County provides free mediation services. They can be reached at 763-422-8878. If you are reporting an on-street parking or traffic violation, please contact the Anoka County Sheriff's Department by calling 911 as the violation is occurring. 

​How to Report Violations

If you have a complaint about a code violation there are a number of ways to file your complaint. You may contact Code Enforcement via phone at 763-767-5142, online through Request Tracker using the link below, via the mail, or file a complaint at City Hall. Please note that in order to process a complaint the specific address of the property is required. 

All information will remain confidential per MN State Statute 13.44, which states: "The identities of individuals who register complaints with state agencies or political subdivisions concerning violations of state law or local ordinances concerning the use of real property are classified as confidential data." (Section 13.02, Subdivision 3). 

Report A Violation Online

In all cases with code compliance, the City wants to work with the property owner to achieve compliance with regulations. Feel free to talk to staff about any potential issues and how long it may take to bring the property into compliance.